Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Tree Fell in the Forest...

My tree fell in the forest...and I didn't hear it. Did it make a noise? Maybe I wasn't home?

Here are snapshots of said fallen tree:

The tree is being held up by other trees in the forest. How precarious is this? Luckily this is nowhere near the house. The bottom of the trunk here looks pretty damaged. How could I have not noticed this? I spent a lot of time in the forest last year, trying to rid our property of an invasive weeds. Was I so busy weed hunting that I didn't notice anything else going on in the landscape?

My arbor guy, Bill Kucharski , and his amazing swinging son took down a couple of trees close to my house for safety a few years back. This year, he trimmed limbs on tall trees to allow more light on the property where I put a new vegetable garden. I think it may be necessary to call him to do some kind of assessment of our trees. When he visited in the spring, he noted an evergreen that needed a little work and made suggestions for shaping a baby japanese maple.
Bill loves what he does and is extremely knowledgeable. I haven't yet tracked down the photo I took of his son swinging in the woods that I mentioned a couple of days ago because my back up computer is taking a breather at the moment from this hot weather. His help has been invaluable to me.

That's the thing about hiring good professionals...they help make an amateur feel more confident by providing information. A worthy professional will never make you feel stupid and will be happy to give you more than what you hired them to do. A good professional knows that when he provides you with a little extra, he will build your trust. One who loves his work wants to share that love with his clients and this is done by sharing information. By building relationships with clients, the professional -- whether an arborist like Bill or an archives consultant like me -- feels better about his own work. The business grows through mutual understanding and respect. The final beneficiary is the object or subject being given attention. My yard has benefited from Bill's advice, as historical records collections throughout New England have benefited from mine. Because my clients trust me, they are more likely to respond to my recommendations. Never trust someone you hire who treats you poorly. A show of respect is the first thing you should experience for a job. The second thing is knowledge. (The person I hired earlier this week had neither. Check back a couple of posts ago if you care to learn more about that story.)

Gee...now that I'm thinking about it....I wonder if Bill is THE man to answer that famous "if a tree falls in the forest..." question? He seems to know everything there is to know about trees.
I think I"ll go give him a ring.

No comments: