Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Senior Portraits













It certainly helps to have a super-photogenic model for any photo shoot (like my friend Taylor here,) but an outstanding setting also adds to the memory. What was most important to you when you had your photo taken for the yearbook? You wanted to look good and you wanted to be remembered looking good.

Way, way back when I was in high school, seniors did not have a choice about photographers. They gave us a time to report to school at the end of the summer. The photographer handed us a plastic comb, had us step on stage, snapped the photo and yelled "NEXT!" Now, first of all, summer time is never a great time for me to look good. The humidity doesn't agree with my hair. And that little plastic comb certainly does nothing to help the situation. Also, as I recall, I had an allergy attack on the day of my scheduled appointment. Not wanting to be one of the blank spaces in the yearbook that read "no photo," I dragged myself down sneezing and puffy faced. Not the ideal me.

Today seniors want to be shown in their most perfect state. They want to be shown doing the things they love, with sentimental objects, and in memorable locations. As an on location photographer, this is a great scenario for me. If the senior is A. the type who either enjoys having his/her photo taken and is willing to model OR B. shy, but has an intense interest in something and would like to incorporate that something into the shoot, my job is almost easy.

Taylor's session was ideal. She enjoys the outdoors and is an avid horsewoman. With these things in mind, I took her to the local farm and shot her pictures among wildflowers and horses. We climbed over fences together and spent the better part of two hours chatting and having a good time. The warm autumn day had the perfect lighting with the help of some farm buildings to shield the sun's rays and just a tad and a line of trees to help direct that gorgeous yellow light. The wildflower blossoms off-set Taylors eyes. She brought a few changes of shirt so that we could play with color. Above I've including just a few of our favorite shots from the session.

No comments: